Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My BFF The Scale...



... The food scale that is, I'm not quite loving the bathroom scale yet.


as you can see mine has been well used and could stand a bit of cleaning love...

So I've been weighing and measuring my food and it's a huge help to really be in control and avoid buying higher priced, convienece portion controlled foods.

My tip, use the scale. I have a scale with a tare function and grams and oz. I paid $10 or $20 for it. I forget.


Instead of using measuring cups and spoons, I weigh most everything, it's much easier and no extra dishes to wash. For example, building a salad, looking at portion sizes, (most items are listed in grams), I start with a zeroed out scale with a bowl on it. Add the lettuce, log the amount, hit the tare button, add each veggie, topping, and dressing doing this after each. It's easy to get half a serving, or see exactly how much a serving is. No oily TBLSP spoon to wash. sometimes I don't weigh the veggies, since they're so low cal and easy to just count, but definitly the dressing and other toppings. I also weigh chips, fruit, Mayo or pb on my bread, shredded cheese, cereal and milk. I love not having to wash a bunch of measuring tools, especially pb and mayo, you cantvget all the pb off the spoon!


It's so easy, I have no reason not to. It's not more work to sprinkle raisin bran into a bowl on top of a scale than it is to pour the cereal blindly into the bowl on the counter. Then drizzle in the right amount of grams of milk, grab a spoon and go.

Some things aren't easy to measure using cups and spoons. Are you supposed to smash the shredded cheese into the 1/4 cup? Or measure loosely? And then you have to un-squish it to sprinkle on your quesadilla, I just shred it directly onto the tortilla on the scale. Easy peasy.


No serving up dinner with a measuring cup, just use the same serving spoon you use to stir it while it was cooking. Just put the plate on the scale and scoop away.


The scale is a great time saver, I used to count out the 14 potato chips into a serving and who knows how many broken ones I had to estimate and how annoying that was.


I've found that some things in the fatsecret.com food log don't give the option to enter by oz or gram, for them, I check serving sizes to figure it out or just count out or grab a spoon or cup for it.


Dishing my plate on top of the scale is a habit I can keep forever. I am sure I will get pretty good at eye-balling portion sizes, but it's so easy, I'll stick with it for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment