Sunday, May 22, 2011

High Cholesterol

I came across a letter from my dr from like 2009 sometime and it'd said my cholesterol was high and blah blah blah. My dr didn't want to put me on meds while I was in my childbearing years. So just suggested diet and exercise.

Since then I beared a child and lost a little weight, thanks Ellie.

I thought I aughta get checked again. Especially seeing is how my medical coverage was approved past the 2 months postpartum. thank you insurance gods and tax payers!

Well, as suspected, my cholesterol is high. Dr wants me on meds. The same dr as the letter. I'm still in my childbearing years though??. I also have an underactive thyroid apparently. More on that later.

The meds she rxs that are supposedly safe for breastfeeding, aren't covered by my insurance. Another one is safe for BFing but not for pregnancy. I'm not concerned with pregnancy as I'm on reliable bc but I'm thinking, how safe can it be for BFing if not safe for pregnancy?

I open up google.

Apparently Fenugreek, an herb used to help with milk production, has been studied to help with high cholesterol. Hmm. It can result in baby being misdiagnosed with Maple Syrup Urine Disease though... no joke...

Further research teaches me that it's common for pregnant and lactating moms to see an increase in cholesterol. Cholesterol is pretty important for babies. One article actually suggest not even testing cholesterol while lactating.

Some drs are dumb. Some suggest weaning so mom can start meds. I haven't told my dr yet that im not going to take the cholesterol meds. I'm young, dont drink or smoke, I'm overweight but working on it. I have family hustory though. Breastfeeding has been shown to lower mom and baby's risk of so many ailments including heart disease. I'll call her tomorrow.

A friend of mine is TTC and has high cholesterol. She told me her Dr RXed fish oil. Studies show fish oil + diet and exercise lower cholesterol better than meds alone.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Fish oil is recommended for nursing moms for the omega-3 fats anyway.

I already take fish oil supplements, but I'm going to research further on how much I should/could take.

Fixing my thyroid might help lower the cholesterol too, even if by helping me lower my weight which in turn will lower cholesterol.


I might take the fenugreek too, and pump more often. I have a slight fear of being unable to nurse and not being able to pump. I want to have a decent supply in the freezer for if and when Ellie will need a bottle.


Hasn't happened yet, but it might.

When my father-in-law had a triple bypass, we tiook a mini nutrition class on a heart healthy Mediterranean diet. Mostly veggies. Fruit. Fish and other lean meats, whole grains occasionally. I'll be getting the hand-out out of the file box and taking it shopping with us.

I like healthy foods. I just like the unhealthy stuff too.

1 comment:

  1. Cyndi, first of all I want to congratulate you on your efforts to make better choices when it comes to your diet, and overall health. Especially now that you are a nursing mama, it is even more critical that you are healthy for your precious little one. I love, LOVE, love that you are breastfeeding. I nursed all my kiddos, (maybe a wee bit too long, lol). I think you are doing an incredible job keeping track of everything so far, and doing your research on alternative treatments for things like fenugreek.

    I eat a lot of fenugreek, and use it in my Indian food meals, and also know that it helps increase milk production, and has been used for centuries in India for that very reason. I say definitely give it a try, you won't be disappointed. Also omega -3 is super healthy , nursing or not. My hubby had high cholesterol, and they told him to take that as well.

    I am just happy to see how hard you are working to make better choices, and respect that so much. Believe me, I'm not preaching to the choir here, when I say that I eat the healthiest things ever. NO WAY, I eat tons of things that I shouldn't, and could always do better. But those times are much less far in between, and for the most part I do try very hard to make good choices, and that's all I can hope for anyone. Nobody is perfect, but when you don't even try, or maybe don't know where to start, I would hope that somebody in your life would be willing to help. Even if it's reading something on a blog where it finally just clicks for you, and you decide to make even one simple change in the right direction.

    I encourage you to keep up the good work, and know that you will be an inspiration to many, including myself. Thank you girl!!!

    Hugs, Bella :)

    ReplyDelete